Windows play a crucial role in providing homeowners and business owners with a diverse range of benefits. However, many decision-makers don’t realize the problems that can arise if they don’t replace these panels when they should. Dysfunctional windows can affect aesthetic appeal, energy efficiency, and security.
As property improvement experts, we highly recommend using replacement windows for existing openings instead of new-construction ones. We’ve collected valuable information on choosing the best replacement windows for your property. Let’s get right to it.
Replacement windows are an ideal option for repairs that involve budget and time constraints. Also called retrofit windows, manufacturers developed these attachment products to avoid removing exterior materials upon installation.
Reliable contractors measure them to fit existing openings. Using these windows instead of new-construction types can save homeowners and entrepreneurs substantial amounts of time and money.
Below are the two most common types of replacement windows:
- Flush Fin: Also called Z-Bar, these window types are common in areas that use aluminum windows with masonry exteriors. They usually have a large flange to hide the existing frame.
- Block Frame: These attachment products are typical in areas with wood windows and brick exteriors. We recommend using this window type only if the perimeter frame is in good condition.
Using these windows to replace existing ones offers many benefits for property owners. Apart from letting in more natural light, let’s look at some of the other advantages of using these attachment products.
If you want to invest in improvement projects that can boost your property’s selling price, replacing windows can help you land a massive payoff. Additionally, most buyers won’t like the idea of buying a property that needs window replacements.
Windows that get stuck are more than nuisances — they are safety hazards. For example, it might be challenging to open broken windows in case of a fire. With functional windows, you can gain the peace of mind you deserve.
Recent statistics from the Department of Energy reveal that windows account for 25 to 30% of cooling and heating energy consumption. Replacing windows can drastically reduce the amount of lost energy, therefore lowering energy costs.
Well-sealed windows can reduce cold drafts and hot spots inside any area by reducing UV rays and preventing air leaks. Updated windows can hold climate-controlled air inside your property, boosting comfort levels for you and the whole family.
Common allergens like dust, pollen, and pet hair can enter broken or old windows. New window designs often have shades between the glass to hinder allergens from passing through windows. If you often have high-volume traffic on your property, it’s best to keep your windows in tip-top shape.
Replacing dysfunctional windows is an ideal upgrade for property owners. Below are the most common signs that it’s time to buy replacement windows.
- Unusually high energy bills: Such statements are often signs of dysfunctional windows. If you can feel a draft in the room despite having the windows closed, the seals and insulation in that area might be compromised.
- Outside noise: When you start noticing high sound levels even with closed doors, it’s time to buy replacement windows. We recommend using triple-pane replacement windows for the best results.
- Termite damage: Moisture that penetrates window frames attracts termites, which causes structural damage. In most cases, replacement windows should solve this problem. However, we recommend calling a treatment company to assess the damage first.
- Condensation: Condensation between window panes often indicates seal failure — an unfortunately challenging issue. In most cases, you will need to replace your windows to address the condensation. Make sure to choose high-quality glass to keep your windows condensation-free for a long time.
- Cracked window panes or frames: While cracked window panes are more alarming than cracked frames, we still highly recommend addressing both concerns. It’s best to replace chipped windows to avoid the crack from spreading and to maintain your property’s energy efficiency.
Replacement windows can do wonders for any property, but not all of them are equal. When it comes to these accessories, we recommend choosing reliable brands to enjoy their many benefits. Below are some of the features to look for in first-rate windows:
- The National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) Seal: The NFRC is a non-profit organization that manages the independent energy performance rating process of windows, doors, and other attachment products.
- Locks that fit well together: When it comes to locks, we recommend using stainless steel because they’re resistant to fire, heat, and corrosion.
- Beautiful aesthetics: Even if you choose simple windows, you can immediately tell if they are high-quality attachment products. Well-made windows should have consistent colors that will enhance the beauty of any residential or commercial property.
- Heat-welded joints: Stay away from windows held together by screws and caulk. They most likely won’t last long.
Elevate Your Home Now
No matter how unique your vision is, replacement windows can improve your property’s aesthetics and enjoy countless benefits, such as increased value, enhanced security, and improved energy efficiency.
If your windows are due for a replacement, it’s time to begin learning more about the different brands of windows. Keep in mind that not all window manufacturers are the same, so be sure to choose a reliable brand.
Investing in a high-quality brand can help you achieve an unmatched aesthetic appeal and safety level that can last for years. You will save substantial amounts of time and money by buying your replacement windows from a trusted brand.
For replacement windows, be sure to choose a manufacturer with a long history, great warranty, and most of all attractive and durable products that will last a lifetime. Most large brands have multiple product lines depending on the style and features you desire. Don’t get fooled by fancy marketing. Do your homework, ask around, and be sure to read their previous customer reviews. These reviews can often provide good insight into their customer service and how they handle situations.
Martin Whitmore is the owner of US Window & Door, one of the oldest exclusive window and door replacement companies in San Diego, serving the County for over 30 years.