What is raspberry pi? Similar to a desktop computer, this credit-card-sized computer is capable of performing various functions like- browsing the internet, making spreadsheets and playing games.
Raspberry pi is capable to interact with the outside world. Moreover, it teaches how the computer works. It also helps individuals of different ages to learn how to program in a variety of languages like- scratch and python.
What is raspberry pi home automation?
If you are technically inclined, raspberry pi is an affordable mini-computer that is perfect for home automation software. Nevertheless, it is a perfect option if you are looking for expanding your home.
Similar to other home automation tools it is also a great alternative for managing your smart home. As compared to other commercial offerings, it offers a controllable, open and privacy-minded approach. However, requires more technical aptitude.
What you can automate in your home with raspberry pi?
Everything that runs on electricity can be automated in a home. Firstly, you are required to decide what your expectations for getting fruitful results are. Take a look at what you can achieve with home automation with raspberry pi.
- Automatic lights –When anyone enters your room you can immediately turn on the lights through sensors. This is of great use in staircases where switch boards are hard to find. In addition to it, you can also program them in advanced ways.
- Door locks – When you enter your home sensors can unlock your door. Unlocking your door will activate several other systems like – lights.
- Security cameras – Smart security cameras help you to access the situation. This is because they detect what is going outside your home and send notifications or live images on your smartphone.
- Blinds – Sensors can detect the room brightness and automatically on/off blinds to reduce heating and cooling requirements.
- Heating and cooling –You can program them to turn off automatically if no one is present in the room.
Raspberry pi automation kit
- Control door –It’s working depends on which devices are connected to your WIFI/LAN. Once your phone is disconnected from the WIFI, Raspberry pi turns off your lights and sockets.
- Control sprinkler – The working of sprinkler is based on the weather condition. After collecting data, it informs the raspberry pi if there is a drop on the pad.
- Security system –It gives you the notification if anyone harms your property, whether your child has reached home on time or not or if you forgot to lock your door.
Top 4 raspberry pi kits for home automation
1. Raspberry pi 400 computer with 4 MG RAM
It is the most updated edition of the raspberry pi products. It is designed for home/schools and comes with an on/off switch. Pi 400 computer is unique due to a lot of reasons.
- Excellent quality
- Better performance
- It provides a valuable raspberry pi experience.
2. Raspberry pi quick starter kit
The kit includes 48 different raspberry pi components. It contains high-quality products packed in a plastic box. It includes – power supply module, LCD, sensors and motors.
3. Raspberry pi4 desktop kit
You can check the specification of any of its products with a click of the mouse. This kit is supplied with –
- 8 GB memory
- Keyboard and mouse
- Beginner’s guide
4. Raspberry pi 4 starter kit
It includes everything you require in the world of home automation with raspberry pi. Each kit contains the raspberry pi 4 model with a power supply, 28HDMI cables, micro-SD card, 3*heat sinks and an aluminum case for thermal management. With a 32 GB SD card, it ensures versatility and high speed.
Benefits of home automation with raspberry pi
Besides peace of mind, it’s benefits are divided into various categories. For instance – safety, comfort, savings, convenience, control and a lot more. Have a glance at some important benefits of home automation with raspberry.
- Savings – In addition to energy, smart light bulbs reduce utility costs. Raspberry pi also manages water usage to control water bills.
- Safety –This benefit is offered by a majority of home automation technologies. They are perfect to make your home safer and secure.
- Convenience – It provides comfort and convenience.
- Control – Besides a busy schedule, automation technologies enable you to keep proper control.
- Peace of mind– Imagine you came into your room after parking your car. However, you don’t remember whether you have closed the garage door or not. With home automation technology you can check it by an app without leaving your seat.
Best raspberry pi smart home automation software options
The raspberry pi is a small computer designed for various applications. Have a glance at the various raspberry pi smart home software options and get started with home automation with raspberry pi.
- Home Assistant – It is a top choice as a raspberry pi home automation software option. It is easy to install and provides lots of home automation opportunities.
- MisterHouse –This outstanding home automation option uses Perl scripts for monitoring the products. Besides Windows PCs, it can run on a macOS device. Due to this variety of platforms, it is another great choice for home automation.
- OpenHAB – Due to its energy efficiency it is great for running on raspberry pi. It is open-source, easy to use and offers various other valuable features.
- Calaos – It is simple, intuitive and doesn’t require any special instructions to handle. Due to its unique qualities, it is recommended to use calaos in home automation.
- Mycroft – Unlike, OpenHAB and Home Assistant, Mycroft offers different features. It enables you to create your smart voice assistant. All you require is a raspberry pi, Mycroft image, a speaker, SD card and USB microphone.
If you like technical computer setup then home automation with raspberry pi is a great option for you. For artificial intelligence and machine learning, it is a powerful tool with excellent processing capabilities.
No one was aware that home automation will be involved in our daily lives. Currently, it’s future is bright and it will achieve new heights very soon.